Frequently Asked Question
WHAT IS A ROOT CANAL TREATMENT (RCT)
The removal of the pulp tissue, cleaning the root passages and then sealing the passages.
WHEN DO I NEED A RCT?
- Spontaneous throbbing pain;
- Pain that lingers longer when the tooth is exposed to heat;
- Non vital (dead tooth).
DO I HAVE OTHER OPTIONS?
IS IT PAINFUL?
Depends on the expertise of the operator.
WHY DO FEES OF THE ROOT CANAL TREATMENT DIFFER?
Fees in all fields of business are linked to costs occurred by the operator and level of expertise.
There are endodontic “specialists”. They have a practice dedicated to root canal treatments only. “Endodontists” do all their treatments using a Dental Operating Microscope and never without a dental dam (rubber latex or nitrile dam).
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT
Dental dam prevents saliva bacteria from entering the pulp space and protects the patient from ingesting/inhaling any of the irrigants or instruments.
The Microscope ensures all the canals (passages) are found.
WHY IS THERE SUCH NEGATIVITY ABOUT ROOT CANAL TREATMENTS
Your results are always dependant on your quality of your sample.
Dr Price and the focal infection theory advocates obtained their results after analysing the results of poor root canal treatments.
The focal infection theory states that bacteria grow in the dead spaces and are then carried by the blood to cause infection somewhere else in the body.
WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE TO THIS?
The success of root canal treatments are dependant on
- Treatment of the total pulp system;
- Removal of the bacterial biofilm;
- Prevention of the coronal reinfection due to poor sealing “obturation.
HOW HAVE WE IMPROVED ON THIS?
- 3 Dimensional x-rays called Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) indicates exactly how many canals (passages) are present. The Dental Operating Microscope allows us to see the most minute detail and has raised endodontics to another level.
- 3 Dimensional cleaning instrumentation (XP ENDO SHAPER AND FINISHER) removes the bacterial biofilm working like bottle brushes.
- Hydrated Calcium Phosphate Silicate Sealer (Totalfil Bioceramic Sealer) is a biologic, hydrophilic (moisture loving) anti-bacterial, dimensionally stable and osteogenic Sealer preventing coronal re-infection.
WHAT IS YOUR ANSWER TO FOCAL INFECTION THEORISTS WHO ADVOCATE EXTRACTIONS RATHER?
If there is bone loss around the root (radiolucent lesion) indicating infection and after the root canal treatment the bone grows back (osteoblastic regeneration) that indicates healing and absence of bacterial infection. “There is no bacteria leaking into your blood”.
The cause of infection from poor root canal treatments is a bacterial biofilm, but these exists on:
- implant/crown interfaces
- prosthesis (knee/hip replacements)
- heart stents and valves
The anti root canal lobbyists should therefor reject the above forms of medical treatment.
Are you a vegan if you eat fish or eggs?
Are you a real vegetarian if you eat fish or eggs. The same then goes for root canal treatments, implants, hip or knee replacements, etc, etc.